Australia Day food and wine guide
With Australia Day fast approaching, now is the perfect time to organise your food and drinks menu. Australia has 65 wine regions and over 100 grape varieties, so no matter what you’re eating, there are plenty of Australian wines to suit the occasion.
In part one of two, we’re covering main dishes and matching wines. The wines chosen are all exceptional value for money.
Lamb: Shiraz or Pinot Noir
- Taylors TWP Barrel Selection Shiraz - $28.40, down from $42.75
- Evans & Tate Redbrook Shiraz - rated 95 by James Halliday and only $29, down from $37.10
- “Secret Selection Margaret River Shiraz” - a $18 mystery bottle from Dan Murphy’s. This mystery bottle is nearly definitely the Wills Domain Block 5 Shiraz which is normally priced at $35.99.
- Peter Lehmann Drawcard Shiraz Mataro - $10.50, down from $21.85 - that’s less than half price!
- Levantine Hill Pinot Noir - rated 94 points by James Halliday, $76, down from $80. Free delivery
- Artemis Pinot Noir - $15, down from $23.80
- More Shiraz…
- More Pinot Noir…
Fish and chips: Semillon
- De Iuliis Semillon - rated 95 points by James Halliday and only $18.99
- Margan Semillon - rated 94 points by James Halliday and only $15.20
- More Semillon…
BBQ prawns: Chardonnay
- St Leonards Chardonnay - $14.83, down from $27.99 - that’s 47% off! Free delivery
- Xanadu Chardonnay - rated 95 points by James Halliday and only $30.39
- Tisdall Crest Chardonnay - $13.20, down from $23.75 - that’s 44% off!
- More Chardonnay…
BBQ lime and chili crayfish: Sauvignon Blanc or Vermentino
- Lenton Brae Semillon Sauvignon Blanc - rated 95 points by James Halliday and only $22.79
- Wills Domain Semillon Sauvignon Blanc - rated 93 points by James Halliday and $20.90
- More Semillon Sauvignon Blanc…
- More Vermentino…
Soy and ginger salmon: Riesling
- Grosset Polish Hill Riesling - classified “Exceptional” by Langton’s and rated 98 points by James Halliday, this is one of Australia’s most sought after wines. Only $59.99
- Tomich Woodside Vineyard Riesling - $10 in cases of 12, down from $25 - a whopping 60% discount! Free delivery
- Wynns Riesling - $11.40, down from $17.09
- More Riesling…
In part two we cover entrées and desserts, including cheese platters and the iconic pavlova.
Andrew Kesper •